Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum

Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum (https://www.ecoboostraptors.com/forum/)
-   Raptor Ecoboost Reviews (https://www.ecoboostraptors.com/forum/209-raptor-ecoboost-reviews/)
-   -   All F-150s get 5 Stars from NHTSA (https://www.ecoboostraptors.com/forum/raptor-ecoboost-reviews/1202-all-f-150s-get-5-stars-nhtsa.html)

Lundy 04-23-2015 01:06 PM

All F-150s get 5 Stars from NHTSA

All body styles of the 2015 F-150 have passed with flying colors according to the NHTSA

2015 Ford F-150 Safety Ratings: Five Stars for Every Body Style » AutoGuide.com News

Quote:

Both the F-150 Regular Cab and Super Cab join the SuperCrew at the top of NHTSA’s safety scale with five star ratings, up from the previous truck’s four-star overall rating.

Five-stars were handed out in the frontal and side-impact crash tests for all body styles of the truck, while the rollover test garnered a four star result. Ford says that the Super Cab represents about 25 percent of F-150 sales while the Regular Cab represents about five percent of sales

siezn 04-23-2015 05:12 PM

Last parts of that article help to make sense of what factored into them getting the results they did:

Quote:

The new Ford F-150 uses aluminum body panels, which helped it lose about 700 pounds compared to the last-generation truck, along with three times more adhesive which helps create greater structural strength than welds. The new 2015 Ford F-150 safety ratings are in part the result of a new 12-corner front crush horn that helps dissipate energy in an impact along with 31 other safety related innovations that were introduced on the 2015 truck. Supercomputers were used early in the development process to balance weight savings, durability and crash worthiness to make sure that the truck didn’t lack in any area.
Thanks for posting this.

Jackson 04-23-2015 05:13 PM

Not surprised. Big trucks should get perfect scores on these crash tests. As usual this truck got 4 stars on the roll over, but I think that's the top rating that it can get.

I'd be really surprised if a big truck like this got anything less than a 5 star rating.

siezn 04-23-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson (Post 9018)
Not surprised. Big trucks should get perfect scores on these crash tests. As usual this truck got 4 stars on the roll over, but I think that's the top rating that it can get.

I'd be really surprised if a big truck like this got anything less than a 5 star rating.

Yeah it's expected to an extent.

Jackson 05-02-2015 02:02 PM

Did they use the aluminum for the body of this truck though. Because that would have been one thing to watch for. If that aluminum holds up in a crash, which obviously it did.

siezn 05-06-2015 07:24 PM

I'm starting to fear aluminum with all the concerns that have been brought forward about its downsides.

Jackson 05-09-2015 01:31 PM

It seems to hold up in crash tests. What specifically are you worried about?

Craigy 10-23-2015 03:50 PM

Only supercrew earns IIHS Top Safety Pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XkH4Ss8shE

Supercrew has more structural parts that help out in the small overlap test, whereas extended cab does not.

Pretty interesting... wonder if Ford was cheaping out on the extended cab models or there was some other technical reason for not beefing up both trucks.

Syndikat 10-25-2015 07:40 PM

i heard they got caught and were fixing all trucks.. or from now all they would all have it or something...

Craigy 10-26-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndikat (Post 11241)
i heard they got caught and were fixing all trucks.. or from now all they would all have it or something...

Yeah their initial PR was that they were looking into it. Seems like an easy fix.