User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ford Ranger Raptor Could Get An EcoBoost V6

Ford recently revealed their new Ranger Raptor to the world at a press conference in Thailand and there’s a distinct lack of EcoBoost engines under its hood.

Developed for those who like to go on roads less travelled by, the Asia Pacific spec Ranger Raptor is powered by a 2.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline-4 diesel unit. A 10-speed automatic transmission sends 211 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque to an all-wheel drive system. Those hoping to see a high-performance Ecoboost engine may feel dejected, more so when it’s compared to what the F-150 Raptor is capable of.

But there’s still hope because according to Car and Driver, the off-road focused variant may make its way to North American shores sometime in the future and they believe a 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine may be housed under the U.S. spec Ranger Raptor’s hood. Already powering Ford’s 2019 Edge ST, the engine is capable of producing 335 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque.

If those numbers remain unchanged in the U.S. spec Ranger Raptor, then Ford could add another potent truck to their lineup. What’s more, the Ranger Raptor takers after its larger sibling with six driving modes including Baja and a set of Fox Racing Shox internal-bypass dampers.

Of course this is all speculative and even if the Ford Ranger Raptor does appear stateside, it won’t be for a while yet as the standard model is slated to go on sale next year.

Last edited by Ecoboost Raptor News; 02-23-2018 at 01:26 PM.
post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I definitely think that the U.S Ranger Raptor will have to offer higher output variant than whats been showcased in the Asia-Pacific model. I really don't think a 200hp engine will be of much interest to North American buyers, as its big brother F150 variant offers more than double that.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This may actually interest me and probably other enthusiasts as well because the Ranger has a lighter body compared to the F-150. Combined with a similar output or the same 211 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque, we'll have a more affordable beast!

post #4 of 7 Old 02-23-2018, 03:21 PM

They still haven't confirmed a gasoline engine for NA right? I've also seen rumours about a Diesel Wildtrak Ranger. Looks like we might be getting more of the Asia-Pacific trims than people originally thought. I think the body of the Ranger will have to be substantially lighter to properly make use of 200hp, if they have any hopes of providing similar performance to what's been found in outgoing Raptor models.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-24-2018, 10:54 PM

Ford hasn't said if the Ranger was making it's way to other markets outside of the Asia-Pacific so we really have no idea what kind of powertrains they will offer with the Raptor variant. I think they're more likely to equip the Ranger Raptor with a more powerful engine than try to reduce curb weight by 200 pounds.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2018, 02:51 PM

Yeah thats why i'm concerned about the sole engine offering atm, because I don't think its enough to justify the price point that the Raptor will most likely sit at ($40-50k). For just slightly more money you could get your hands on a F150 Raptor that comes with double the power.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-12-2018, 03:05 PM

The Drive did a bit of math and thinks the Ranger Raptor could have a starting cost of $21,259. That's taking into account the 2018 F-150 Raptor's price compared to the standard model and using that 1.81 multiplier on the Ranger. Not bad, but still not affordable enough for what engine it comes with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page