• 1 Post By Syndikat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ecoboosting the Ford Raptor

How do you improve on one 411 hp, 6.2L, 100 mph baja-lite desert runner complete with factory warranty? Boost, obviously...

Ford didn't stray far from the script when building the 2017 Raptor. Hulking stance, widened fenders and toddler tall tires (ok 35 inches) are all mainstays from the Raptors first rodeo.

While the 2017 Raptor received a new platform, reworked suspension and the first application of Fords new 10 speed gearbox, the star of the show is the newly reworked 3.5L Ecoboost V6 made specifically for hi-po applications.

Matching its bodywork the reworked 3.5L Ecoboost engine benefits first and foremost from a new aluminium block, upgraded internals, revised heads and remapped fuel delivery. Well and good but what is the tangible meaning? Luckily at the 24 Hours of Daytona, Fordís Global Product Development VP, Raj Nair let slip accidently (on purpose) that the Raptorís reworked 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 sums at 450 hp, torque remains unannounced.

Considering that the Raptor shaved 500 lbs of its waist line and gained an extra 40 horses for 2017, expect the Raptor to fly farther, run harder and still remain uncatchable...

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
More details on the Ford Performance Ecoboost specifically

https://www.ecoboostraptors.com/forum...-ecoboost.html

post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndikat View Post
More details on the Ford Performance Ecoboost specifically

https://www.ecoboostraptors.com/forum...-ecoboost.html
Seen that as well and didn't realized they made so many extensive changes, but that's not to say I expected them to just throw an engine in and call it a day:

Quote:
It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, so maybe that dual-injection scheme will spread to other engines.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM

You know, I think the only real problem Ford has with the 2017 Raptor is the 'eco' branding. Too many diehards hear Ecoboost and their first jump is to environmental rhetoric, ain't nothing 'eco' about 450 ponies!!!

siezn likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
You know, I think the only real problem Ford has with the 2017 Raptor is the 'eco' branding. Too many diehards hear Ecoboost and their first jump is to environmental rhetoric, ain't nothing 'eco' about 450 ponies!!!
That's what i have noticed as well. It's quite possible that in the future they might change that to something else more relevant to the vehicle it's going on, but at the same time it does make sense to call that tech the same thing across the board within the same brand.

We do have to consider that there were a ton of professionals that this had to pass through before it became a reality.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siezn View Post
That's what i have noticed as well. It's quite possible that in the future they might change that to something else more relevant to the vehicle it's going on, but at the same time it does make sense to call that tech the same thing across the board within the same brand.

We do have to consider that there were a ton of professionals that this had to pass through before it became a reality.
Nah its not a bad strategy, the detractors simply can't afford the product. Anyone who has owned an Ecoboost in the past will attest that fuel economy isn't job one

post #7 of 10 Old 02-03-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Nah its not a bad strategy, the detractors simply can't afford the product. Anyone who has owned an Ecoboost in the past will attest that fuel economy isn't job one
They're not bad in normal conditions for returning economy, its when you introduce towing or load that they suffer. Mind you slinging through open terrain at 100 mph plus isn't conducive to fuel econ no matter what engine you're running LOL

Lundy likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-07-2015, 06:35 PM

Basically, depends how you drive.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siezn View Post
Basically, depends how you drive.
To put the Eco in Ecoboost...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
LOL

Well then, looks like my 20 year old V8 coupe and I deserve an eco badge, since I do about 80% of that, the other 20 i'm heavy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page