Black and Chrome Emblem - Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-26-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Black and Chrome Emblem

This gentleman over here decided to do a sort of black and chrome design to his 17' Ford Raptor rear emblem. Now.. this is to show the ease of plasti-dip and how it's really hard to mess it up as his painting practice is completely horrendous lol. So it's really easy, and something some members may be interested in.

post #2 of 24 Old 01-29-2017, 01:43 PM

I've tried plasti dipping once in my life and the drips were just horrendous. A plasti dipped rear badge look great on black paint if you have a steady hand and can spray out consistent streaks.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-30-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Getting one of these really helps. More of a comfortable, natural feel. You just gotta keep a decent distance and keep a nice movement going on. It's all about layers with plasti-dip, and then you do a medium coat and a slightly heavier coat to finish it off. Keep practicing and you'll be great !

post #4 of 24 Old 02-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
I've tried plasti dipping once in my life and the drips were just horrendous. A plasti dipped rear badge look great on black paint if you have a steady hand and can spray out consistent streaks.
Well, it all comes down to how you apply it and odds are you applied layers that were too thick, as with painting with anything lighter layers are always the best way. Lots of tutorials out there showing how to do this so you can get a feel of whats appropriate.

Good example right here:

post #5 of 24 Old 02-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Always lighter layers unless your spraying clear coat*

I personally think using that sprayer is much easier than using the cans lol. Would love to have one of those though.
post #6 of 24 Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
But the average user isn't going to be utilizing that sprayer. The amount of over-spray in the air doesn't make it really DIY friendly unless you have a large enough garage with some ventilation in there.
post #7 of 24 Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
But the average user isn't going to be utilizing that sprayer. The amount of over-spray in the air doesn't make it really DIY friendly unless you have a large enough garage with some ventilation in there.
Even just using the cans and spraying with light layers should do the trick since most people just paint trim pieces, not often you see entire panels covered in this stuff unless they're going on a road trip and want to protect the front end from rock chips and bugs.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM

That is true. I think in total I've only seen 2-3 cars that were completely plasti-dipped. I have noticed a lot of people doing their roofs in black with dip though. Something that large I wouldn't do.. I'd rather vinyl wrap it at that point. But for emblems and smaller trim pieces, definitely.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's also tremendously harder to dip a roof black because of the how large it is and it's high up. Gotta make sure you can't see the lines when your spraying and all that craziness. Rather just get a piece of vinyl, stretch it over, and call it a day lol.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM

In that case, wrapping the roof would be a better idea and roofs are easy enough to wrap that you can do it yourself or with a friend. But most people i know that wrap roofs keep it like that for years, paying a shop isn't so bad when you're playing that long term game.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Raptor Ecoboost Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page